GW Swipes Out Hunger
2023 Campaign: How Our Community Can Help Address Food Insecurity
GW has teamed up with Swipe Out Hunger, a national nonprofit organization committed to ending college student hunger, to provide the GW community a way to support GW students who may be experiencing food insecurity. As inflation continues to rise, the Swipe Out Hunger donation campaign offers a convenient way for GW community members and especially students who will have unused money on their GWorld cards to help fellow GW students.
GW community members can donate their unused GWorld funds to support The Store: GW’s Food Pantry and the Abrahms Family Fund, an GW institutional grant that provides emergency GWorld dining funds for students in need. Donations are voluntary and are not tax deductible.
Pell Grant Recipient Students changed their food shopping or eating habits due to a lack of funds
College Students report hunger impacting their ability to study
Funds donated during GW's 2022 Campaign
How to Request Aid
If you are currently facing food insecurity, please fill out the Meal Swipes Request Form.
Once we receive your response, a member of the GW Dining Team will reach out directly to the email provided.
How to Donate
As the semester concludes, if you have unspent Dining Dollars, Campus Cash or Meal Swipes remaining on your GWorld card, please consider giving that unused money back to our own community and help us ‘swipe out hunger.’
A few considerations to keep in mind:
- Both Dining Dollars and Campus Cash roll over from semester to semester and year to year as long as a student continues to be enrolled. Remaining card balances are not refunded at the end of each semester. Nor can a balance be used as payment on your tuition bill.
- Recent graduates can purchase an Alumni Card in the GWorld Office and transfer any unused Dining Dollars and/or Campus Cash balances to their new Alumni Card. Funds in an alumni GWorld account do not expire unless the account remains inactive (no deposits or charges) for a 36 consecutive month period.
- Graduating students and students departing the university through a transfer or other means, generally have access to GWorld funds through the summer and lose access to these funds on September 1, if not transferred to an alumni account or donated.
- Campus Cash loaded onto a GWorld account by GW faculty or staff employees does not expire and remains active as long as the individual remains employed. Refunds are not available if an employee separates from the university.
1. If using Dining Dollars or Campus Cash to Donate
To donate you must first have an active GWorld card balance of either Dining Dollars or Campus Cash.
Donations can only be made through the GET Mobile app on Apple or Android. Please note, at this time there are no other methods to transfer/donate Dining Dollars or Campus Cash to the Swipe Out Hunger Campaign.
Once GET Mobile is downloaded on your mobile device:
Select George Washington University as your institution, enter your username (ie: your GW email), create a password and a custom 4-digit pin that will be used within the app.
- Open the App.
- Click on the Accounts button on the bottom of the screen.
- Click on the Meal Donations button on the top of the next screen.
- Next choose the account (ie: Dining Dollars or Campus Cash) and amount to donate.
2. If you have remaining Meal Swipes as part of your Block Meal Plan** to Donate
Fill out the Donating Unused Blocks Form.
If you have difficulty with the web form, please email [email protected]. Include your GW UserID, full name and which block meal plan you are participating in. Also note how many block meal swipes you would like to donate from the amount you have remaining. A member of the GW Dining Team will respond to you within two-three business days to confirm your donation amount.
**Students on the Unlimited Meal Plan are not able to donate unused meal swipes.
If you have any questions about GW’s Swipe Out Hunger Campaign, email [email protected].